Progress reports will be available to parents on Monday, February 5th. You can access Skyward at this link. Â Your email should be your user name. Â There is a â€śforgot passwordâ€ť button should you need some help.
Lincoln Eliot Sock Drive:
Our fifth graders are running their annual community service project. This year, they are collecting socks, which will be distributed, to local homeless shelters and the Cradles to Crayons organization. They are in need of any type/size of NEW socks. Socks will be collected until February 9th.
Mark your Calendar:
- Monday, February 5th, 7:00pm: Kindergarten Information Night
- Friday, February 9th, 6:00pm- 8:00pm: Family Movie Night
- February 19 â€“ 23: February Vacation Week: No School
- Tuesday, February 27th, Lincoln Eliotâ€™s Kindergarten Screening Day
Newton Family Conference
Please see the link below for a Â link to Superintendent Fleishman’s invitation to the 2018 Newton Family Conference, Saturday, March 24th from 1p-4p at Newton North. Â For more info & to RSVP: https://www.eventbrite.com/e/2018-newton-family-conference-tickets-42724185188
FORJ (Families Organizing for Racial Justice) is a coalition of school-aged families in Newton coming together to teach our children â€“ and ourselves â€“ how to stand up for racial equality. For resources & age appropriate book recommendations: https://forjnewton.com/about/
Each school in the district has a team of parents organizing FORJ and the Lincoln-Eliot team is looking for more parents who are interested in enhancing our diverse community through this race, culture, and identity work. Stay tuned for info on a L-E community-building event this spring!
UPCOMING FORJ MEETINGS & EVENTS
Next Newton FORJ meeting: Thursday, February 8th from 7:30-9:30pm at Angier Elementary School. Come learn what several Newton Public Schools are doing to bring their communities together while working to reduce racism and injustice on many levels.
How to Talk with Your Children About Race & Racism (rescheduled from January!): Wed, Feb 28th, 6:30-8:30pm (in Boston): Come join us to learn effective ways to talk with your children about race and racism next week in Boston at the beautiful Salvation Army Kroc Center, 650 Dudley St. Dorchester, MA 02125. There is ample parking around this community center, but you can also carpool or take the T to Dudley Station and walk over easily. To register: https://www.eventbrite.com/e/ newton-metco-parent-meeting-ti ckets-41384289524
A few reminders from previous weeks:
- Kindergarten Registration
If you have a younger child that is 5 (by August 31) or know a friend in the neighbor with a child that age, it’s time to think about Kindergarten! Kindergarten information night is at Newton South on Monday, February 5th at 7:00pm. At the information night, you will receive a folder with all registration documents. You will need to bring the completed paperwork to the Kindergarten screening. Lincoln-Eliot’s screening date is Tuesday, February 27th. Please call the school to schedule your screening appointment. If you have any questions, please call Jena Rossi at 617-559-9540.
Ready or not- winter is here!! Please be sure to send your scholar to school each day with a winter jacket, hats, gloves and snow boots as we will continue have outdoor recess daily throughout the winter. Also, please clearly label these items with your childâ€™s name so they do not get lost or missed placed.
- Box Tops
Please keep an eye out for any products at home with Box Tops! We collect them in the office and they are redeemed for money for the school. We already have $70 towards our next submission, so keep the collection sheets coming!
- Arrival and Dismissal:
- Arrival and dismissal time has become a bit chaotic and dangerous at times. As a result, I am asking you to please adhere to the following to ensure the safety of all scholars:
- Students should only be let out of the car on the curbside of the street never into the street.
- The blue zone (on both Pearl Street and Jackson Road) is a no parking zone; it should be used for quick drop off and pick up only
- If coming from the Capital Street area, please cross students at the Pearl/Jackson light in the designated crosswalk; not in front of cars on Jackson Street.
- The fire lane in the staff parking lot is a no parking zone
Dogs are not allowed on school property but we have come up with a plan that should work for all. If you choose to walk your dog to school at arrival and dismissal times, you and your dog must wait by the Flagpole on the corner of Pearl St and Jackson Rd. Make sure to inform your childâ€™s teacher that you give permission for your child to walk to the Flagpole area on his/her own. It is imperative that you talk with your child to create a plan in case you are late. Make sure to communicate that plan to your childâ€™s teacher.
- In an effort to ensure student safety, we are asking for parents and teachers to remind students NOT to climb through the bushes in the front of the school when entering or exiting the building. Thank you for your assistance with this matter.
- Please notify the office if you have a change of address or phone number. It is important to have up to date contact information in the case of an emergency.